Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Paleo Art and Fantasy

Jan Sovak, 40 x 71 cm, mixed media
There is an event called Nickle at Noon which runs through the fall and winter semesters at the University of Calgary and is free. Usually it is an artist's or curator's talk or some other lecture associated with the arts.  It is run in the TFDL (Taylor Family Digital Library).

Today I slipped over at noon to listen to Jan Sovak, a Czech-born, Calgary based artist who specializes in representing dinosaurs, primeval organisms and fantastic beasts.  Thus the title of the talk, "Paleo Art and Fantasy".

Fun to push my boundaries a bit, since my interest in dinosaurs and fantasy is pretty low.

I enjoyed the lecture and at one point was wishing I had brought along my notebook. Sovak showed were some widely circulated photos from the past, one of which was an event in the Crystal Palace in Hyde Park in the 1880's -- a photo of a number of scientests having a banquet as though they were sitting in the middle of the stomach of a dinosaur.

Glad I took the time to walk over and see what was going on at the Nickle at Noon today.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.