Monday, October 9, 2017

Thanksgiving

Our thanksgiving dinner was held Sunday evening.  Joan brought the meal to Miranda's house.  I looked at my plate when it was filled:  turkey, dressing, gravy, turnips, squash, cabbage salad (from a 200 year old recipe, great-grandmother Joan said).  There were cranberries, hallah bread (compliments of Amir).  I forgot the potatoes, but there was still room on my plate to tuck a spoonfull of them by the meat.  No room to make a well and fill it with gravy, though.

Then the thanks around the table. 

Richard took mine -- the gift of reading.  I had to switch and say that the joy of waking up every morning is my biggest pleasure.  Michael's gratefulness was centred around electronics.  Alice couldn't think of anything -- not in the category of food, friends at play school, cousins and family.  She just couldn't get from the general to the particular to make a statement.  Betty spent the meal nestled on her mother's chest.  This couldn't have been that comfortable for Miranda.

Still.   A good time was had by all.  I tried to gather all of the people who were there in my mind and hope that there will be many more events where we share this kind of happiness.

Arta

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.