Tuesday, April 10, 2018

The First Day of Work

Michael in the bottom of the trampoline pit on Lot #5.

Do the faces on these two men really look like their muscles
are gong to be aching  at night.
There is an old saying that goes, the better the day, the better the deed.

 I always used to take this as any work done on Sunday was multiplied in goodness, since it was done on the Sabbath, the best day of all of the week.

That made Sunday just the right day to begin with the roof renovations on Doral and Richard’s lot.

Multiplication was part of what happened, for Glen put in a full day of work on the cabin and as soon as David Wood got home from church he changed from his Sunday best to his working best.

Glen only minutes before the double puncture wound.
David’s truck was the vehicle that moved the shingles down to the burn pile.

 As fast as a trip could be made, there were that many more shingles to drive to the fire. 

David’s truck is meant for heavy duty work.

 I noticed that the first thing that happens when turning on the key, is that the windshield wipers start working, whether there is ran or not.

 The wipers must be wired to the ignition key.

Michael cleaning the snow off the deck for one last time.
Taking down the deck was the time when the puncture wound to Glen’s arm occurred.

I was on the opposite side of the house and saw him come toward Janet, Moiya and me, staggering, bending over and saying, “I have been punctured.”

I thought the wound was to his stomach but he held out his arm.

As Richard said later, “I have never actually seen Glen in shock before.”

Glen understood he needed to go to the hospital, at least for a tetanus shot, which was what everyone around him was saying.

 So off Janet and he went, the rest of us at home, only worrying, or texting one another to see if we had heard anything.

This morning he showed me his arm.

He though he had only been punctured once, but there were two places where nails had gone in.

 Bonnie and I were thinking we should draw a line around the redness in his arm, in case it got any better. Bonnie was saying, “When this happens to me I can’t really tell that the infection is moving until it gets right up my shoulder."

Betty in the cab of the truck.  Everyone gets a one-on-one ride
as the truck goes up and down the hill.
“Don’t worry,” said Glen, “I have been at work all day and the first aid people have been watching me carefully as well.

Not only that but there is a colleague at work who told me that I should grade up a potato, make a poultice of it and then put it on my arm for the best healing effect.

I am only using him as a back-up.”

2 comments:

  1. If I let myself close my eyes and my mind drift, I can almost smell the cedar of the cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I smelled the cedar of the forest, just a few yards into the path that Greg has been maintaining. All of a sudden it was there -- that redolent, musky green cedar smell. So rich. I said nothing but waiting until Rebecca entered the space. I heard her gasp. There is something wonderful about the green cedar branch smells of the forest.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using a Mac, you cannot comment using Safari. Google Chrome, Explorer or Foxfire seem to work.